1. Maya Moore - For me, this was the best news I've come across all year. In a 2020 that has so much social unrest, as well as so much doubt to go along with it, Maya Moore proves so much of why advocacy is important when you have a platform, and that our system so hellbent on imprisoning black men needs to be reviewed. Maya Moore literally is my hero. Awesome job.
2. Redskins & Indians Name Change - Loooooooooooong overdue. Yes, we can be cynical and discuss how it took corporate dollars to make this happen, and that simply shows how deep-rooted racism in our country is. Whatevs. This is happening, and it's about time.
3. HBCU Recruits - The commitment of top black athletes in college to HBCU is a different dynamic that should be something to keep an eye on going forward. This younger generation is the most informed bunch of this country's history, and also in regards to the power players hold in sport - at all levels. Don't be surprised to see more and more black athletes take their power to HBCUs - leaving behind institutions still wrapped into institutional systems of oppression.
1. Coronavirus - It's getting worse and worse. Every day, a new record for cases. While the outlook can be optimistic that deaths haven't been rising, only cases, the one thing we saw in the cases here in NYC is that deaths always followed the cases. Here is to hoping that won't happen. And oh yeah, wear a damn mask. It really is that simple.
2. Christopher Colombus Defenders - I touch on this briefly in my July 4th post. But I really would love for someone to explain to me why Colombus should be so revered. I understand the protection of the forefathers and there ties to American history despite their complex existence. But Colombus didn't even do what he's known for. As far as I'm concerned, rip down everyone one of his statues and commemorations.
3. Kanye "Presidential run" - Look, I think this is a publicity stunt for his new album. And as crazy as Kanye is, he's a crazy genius because it has definitely caused a stir. If he's really running, please don't cavalier with your vote this November. Please.
1. Officers Mock Elijah McClain - Absolutely disgusting. Reenacting the chokehold? Really? THIS is the kind of story that really hurts the relationship between communities and law enforcement.