1. Narges Mohammadi - The Nobel Peace Prize always fascinates me. Even more so are the stories and ethos of that award. Mohammadi is one of those cases. She is currently serving a ten-year sentence in prison for promoting basic human rights work. Amazing.
2. Simone Biles Wins Again - Yup, she officially became the most decorated gymnast of all time. Truly, a once-in-a-generation athlete.
3. New York State Police - I'm giving police their due on this story. We've tilted to such an anti-police society that these stories truly should be celebrated. With quick work and response, and so much more in between, New York State Police were able to find a missing girl within hours. Great stuff.
1. War in Israel - In what is likely to become the biggest world affairs issue of the year, the horrendous war that has begun in Israel has reignited decades and layers of history of conflict. Some of the reports of death and acts are unconscionable and are sure to be the start of more. Pray for peace.
2. Morgan State Shooting - Another school shooting. I'm starting to wonder if we care at this point. It doesn't feel that way at all.
3. Haiti Gang Violence - Lost in all of the world affairs are the people of Haiti who have been greatly suffering from severe gang violence. Gangs now control 75% of the nation's capital of Port-au Prince.
U.S. gymnast Simone Biles celebrates after winning gold in the women’s all-around final at the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in Belgium on Friday.
Geert vanden Wijngaert / Associated Press