1. Stimulus Package - I'm not sure why anyone would oppose financial help throughout the country at this time. I'm willing to listen if there is a good and justifiable reason. I really am. If you compare what countries have done to help support its citizens through this pandemic, the United States lags behind many developed countries. There are many who need the additional $1,400 at this time, and for those who may not, I recommend spending that money with private businesses in your community. Mainly restaurants.
By the way, I'm very curious if those who have opposed stimulus deals throughout this pandemic have accepted them?
2. Student-Athletes Return - Sure, the NCAA tournaments are back this march, which is great! From football to basketball in Division I, it's been somewhat normal. However, it's the return of the lower Divisions and non-revenue sports that are exciting to see. Even at the high school level. I'm so happy for so many student-athletes who can return to competition. As a college athletics administrator, I'm looking forward to the Fall semester.
3. Grammy's Historical Note - The Grammys happened and Beyonce and Taylor Swift set new (or tied) records with Bey becoming the most-awarded woman ever grabbing her record-setting 28th Grammy, and Taylor, becoming the first woman to win album of the year three times. It should also be said that the winners this year, including those who pulled out of the event because of their disagreements with the process, should be very much applauded for giving us a collection of awesome sounds that helped get us through this time in history. Those songs and works of art will forever be significant with this time.
1. COVID U.S. One Year Anniversary - We're closing in on 600,000 deaths - so, incredibly sad. While the craziness of Spring Breakers in Florida could have easily taken this top spot, I just think it's fitting as we round the calendar for a full year on this pandemic, that we take another moment to remember those we lost.
2. Piers Morgan and British Media - I'm the last one to touch on the gossip of the Royal family in Britain and everything that is them. I did watch the Meghan and Harry interview with Oprah, and came away with my longtime conclusion - why are we fascinated with the Royal Family?! Why is anyone? Especially, Americans.
Nonetheless, it's amazing to see those who continue to defend the Family in light of the recent comments that transpired from the interview. And oh yeah, also because of you know, everything that the family is responsible for in World History. Just saying...
3. Racist (And Ridiculous) H.S. Announcer - So, this HS announcer calls a group of students kneeling for the anthem, niggers, on a hot mic that he thought was cut, and is now using the defense that the speech was due to his diabetes diagnosis and a blood sugar spike. SMH. Come on.
1. Beth Moore - Prominent evangelical, Beth Moore recently renounced her affiliation with the Southern Baptist Church. Why is that interesting? Especially, if you're not Christian? Well, Moore decided to do so after evangelicals supported Trump, and is now critical of the church in support of Christian Nationalism and sexism.
It's a sector that hasn't come completely undone yet, but the evangelical church is facing various issues following the Presidency of Donald Trump. And this likely will have significant faith, political, and power ramifications. Just getting started.
1. 24/7 Vaccination? - On a personal note, yours truly has been waitlisted for vaccination until later this month. But just my thought on this vaccination process, and a big question that comes out of it - after everything we've endured, why isn't this process a 24/7-at-all costs operation?
Just spitballing, why aren't sites available throughout the night - whether by appointment or just an open-door policy on who needs it? It just baffles me we're treating the one thing to get us out of this like...well, like everything else?
Sorry, we're not issuing that life-saving item during this pandemic any longer, it's 5:00pm. Please come back tomorrow morning.
Baffling. Just blogging...