Bit of a weird topic, huh? Regardless, you can't tell me that there aren't certain smells in life that you just love. Certain whiffs that relax you, remind you of good times, or just simply put you in a very happy place. Yeaaaaah, thought so. With that in mind, I've decided to put together the latest Pondering 10 based on my favorite outdoor smells. Just a warning, most of these will be from the summer, because, well, winter is terrible!
10. Honeysuckle - With summer comes the bloom of various plants and flowers. Some of them bring about a specific scent that can't be duplicated. The Honeysuckle is obviously one of them.
9. Burned Firewood - Say what? Sometimes this city kid loves an old fashioned fire-pit. I've had my share in the day, plenty during my Caribbean visits, and a few sprinkled in during my time in upstate New York. A good fire is always fun, especially that scent of burned wood.
8. Rain at the end of a Hot Day - I'm not sure how to describe this one. It's just one of those things in life...We all know when rain is coming in the summer as it gives that certain chemical release from the weather approaching. That scent that eventually cools the hot summer day, and reminds you, it's summer time!
7. Open Road - Nothing like rollin...err, I guess pushing the button to put your windows down, and smelling that open road as you drive during the summer. For this city slicker, I appreciate this a lot as we tend to leave our windows up with the A/C blasting to avoid smog and other pollution.
6. Hot Drink on Cold Winter Morning - The ONLY non-summer point on this list. Nonetheless, as much as I dislike the winter, having that warm beverage (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc...) in your hand on a cold winter morning is a great feeling, and a great scent.
5. Baseball Field - Baseball fields just have that smell. That smell. It's hard to explain. Some say it's just grass and dirt combined, but there is a little extra in there for baseball diamonds. Maybe it's a baseball thing? Maybe I'm just crazy? Who knows? Either way, still a favorite.
4. The Beach - One of my favorite places on earth. Nothing like the sun, the sand, the salt water, and the open air all combined.
3. Morning Dew - I am not a morning person. Not even close. Most of you already know this. However, when I do wake up early, and it's in the summertime, I do enjoy that summertime smell of the morning dew. But of course, I rarely catch that.
2. Caribbean - My family homeland. Only few know if this smell. If there is anything on this list I cannot describe, it is this smell. It hits you as soon as you exit the plane and that tropical paradise breeze hits you. Smmmmmfff, I want to book a ticket just thinking about it.
1. Summer Barbecue - What's better than this? Summertime, food on the grill, and livin' is easy. Gotta' love it.