Who hasn’t been hungry and needed a quick bite to eat? We all have been there hundreds, probably, thousands of times in our lives. Those days where we are short on time, but longing for a tasty meal are the situations we hate the most. Often times, these situations call for what seems to have become a staple of what now is not just American culture, but world wide, in fast food. Fast food, often never classy, or healthy, comes in many varieties of prices, styles, foods, and interests. The following Pondering 10 is a list of my favorite fast food options. Although I have enjoyed some places that are regional (“In and Out Burger” out West), and others (e.g. Arby’s) on a limited basis due to a road trip, they did not qualify for this list based on limited experience.
10. Quiznos – The alternative to subway, Quiznos, offers a better variety of sandwiches, soups, and overall fresher products. Not to mention, the toasting of the sandwich is way cooler.
9. Popeye's: Louisiana Kitchen – An economical meal of three pieces and a biscuit for $3.49 is often hard to beat. Much quicker and tastier that KFC in my honest opinion.
8. Dominoes Pizza – C’mon, the 5,5,5 deal of three medium, one topping pizzas for five dollars each has to be one of the greatest deals in…well, fast food. And their wings aren’t too bad either.
7. McDonalds – Many will be surprised to see McD’s at the number seven slot, but honestly, McD’s never sustained the aura it did when I was a kid. For some reason, it seems like as I get older I move to other options which seem more enticing. Although I must admit, the Sweet Tea on the dollar menu is amazing, especially in the summer.
6. Burger King – The declining chain in the fast food industry, BK has been attempting to improve it’s menus to match it’s competitors. Unfortunately, I only care for their great burgers. When it comes to that aspect in fast food, BK truly is king.
5. Wendy’s – My favorite of the traditional burger and fries chains. A great “value menu” gives it the advantage over the others, including their Caesar side salad.
4. Taco Bell – Despite being number four, Taco Bell is the one fast food chain on this list I could eat every day. Seriously. Between the various combination of meals and products, and the 12 tacos for $10 option for the absolutely starving, Taco Bell is amazing.
3. Chinese Take Out – Chinese Take Out is probably the best economical purchase on this entire list. The price to proportion of food is great, and carries the possibility of being saved for the next day. Plus, has the added bonus of delivery when hunger strikes and your refrigerator is empty.
2. Corner Bodega – Now those of you from the suburbs, and those of you who live even deeper in the sticks may not understand this pick at all, and that is highly unfortunate. The Corner bodega, usually a staple, and in many ways a resource in urban areas, is a great source for fast food. Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner including deli sandwiches, hot and cold, burgers, chicken, beef patties etc…the corner bodega is fast, friendly, and most importantly local. And maybe even be beneficial if and when you become friendly with the owners.
1. Chipotle – Ah yes, the upscale taco bell. Chipotle is a great, and healthy, fast food chain that offers Mexican food, all grilled and served right before your eyes. You create the meals. Although the priciest on this list, their meals will fill you up for the better part of a day. A recommendation for all, and a must try for Mexican food lovers.