It is the first weekend of February, which only means that it is Super Bowl weekend! And with this year marking yet another Giants/Patriots Super Bowl for this New York Jets fan, suppressing the thoughts of a loss-loss situation with Super Bowl moments that are memorable are the route we're going to take for comfort. Oh wait, as a Jets fan, and a young one at that, Super Bowl III isn't even in my conscience. Life of a Jets fan. Nonetheless, in my 26 years of existence, there have been some memorable Super Bowls. In lieu of the big game tomorrow, the following Pondering 10 are my favorite Super Bowls in my lifetime.
10. Super Bowl XXIX (1995) - Not a real competitive Super Bowl, however, watching Steve Young carve up the Chargers defense for five passing touchdowns squeaks it onto this list.
9. Super Bowl XLIV (2011) - Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees slinging the ol' pigskin around on the games biggest stage, umm yeah, how can it not be a favorite?
8. Super Bowl XXXII (1998) - John Elway going for the championship that alluded his Hall of Fame career was all that was needed to keep viewers hooked during this close game. And who can forget that helicopter-like spin Elway took as he leaped with desperation towards the end zone.
7. Super Bowl XXV (1991) - What else is their to say? "No good! Wide right!"
6. Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004) - Despite being a New England Patriot win (ugh...), this Super Bowl between the star-studded quarterback in Tom Brady, and the team that could in the Carolina Panthers, followed by their overachieving quarterback, Jake Delhomme, was very close. A tight game that saw the Pats pick up yet another Lombardi trophy.
5. Super Bowl XXXIX (2005) - Yes, the Pats won again (ugh...), however, this will always be remembered, at least by yours truly, as the game that shut the door on Donovan McNabb's career. After years of failing to make the big game, the Eagles fell after months of Terrell Owens controversy, and constant doubt by Philly fans. Despite his craziness, T.O. was phenomenal in this game, coming off a high ankle sprain injury.
4. Super Bowl XXXVI (2002) - After 9/11, emotions were running high in a game that not only continued to lift the spirits of our nation, but marked the first time a Super Bowl ended by a score on the final play. Adam Vinateiri. 48 yard field goal. Clutch. Good.
3. Super Bowl XXXIV (2000) - Imagine coming up one yard short to save yourself from a Super Bowl loss? The Titans and Rams gave us a game for the ages, and a final moment for all-time.
2. Super Bowl XLIV (2009) - A game that went back and forth down the stretch with scores until Ben Roethslisberger delivered a perfect throw, and Santonio Holmes an insane catch, to seal the deal in an amazing Super Bowl contest. Also, can't forget the touchdown interception return prior to halftime.
1. Super Bowl XLII (2007) - This game had drama, story lines, and high intensity. Yes it was Giants vs. Patriots, but this game had all the elements to it that came together for probably the best Super Bowl game of all time. I don't think David Tyree will ever have to buy another meal in this town.